On July 10, 1973, the Islands of the Bahamas, became an absolute nation, while, also, remaining, as a allotment of the British Commonwealth. The nation began, with bound finances, etc, and little infrastructure. However, it also, fortunately, began with a focus, vision, goals, priorities, and somewhat, abstracted leadership. Sir Lynden Pindling was the George Washington, of this nation, and served as Prime Minister, for the aboriginal 25 years, of its existence. In the aboriginal 1980′s, if I was complex in managing and operating, a tourism business, focused on the Bahamas, I had the amusement of meeting, for the aboriginal time, this amazing individual. We had several conversations over the following, about – two decades, and I developed a far bigger compassionate of what our Founding Fathers, and those of a lot of nations, accept to have, to some degree, underwent. There were assertive decisions fabricated from the onset, which directed the Bahamas, into the future. These included: 1) Capping the Bahamian dollar to the United States dollar; 2) Mandatory education; 3) A parliamentary, autonomous government; 4) An basement plan; 5) Commitment to employment; and, 6) a primary accent on banking, tourism, etc. This commodity will try to apply, some of the acquaint learned, in agreement of what, the blow of the world, adeptness account by.
1. Mission and eyes of Founder: Since there are bound accustomed resources, and the adeptness to compete, in agreement of exporting products, is limited. Mr. Pindling determined, the accent should be on education, employment, banking, pegging currency/ money, and tourism. This meant absorption on friendliness, service, and alluring tourists, to appear back, repeatedly. There were abounding challenges, but if one observes, the amount of amazing hotels, restaurants, stores, etc, and the abbreviate – activity of this nation, is inspiring!
2. How mistakes/ challenges are handled: Things did not consistently go, as smoothly, as the government hoped. In the mid – 1980′s, the Cable Beach Hotel, and then, Crystal Palace, were built, as able-bodied as several added above projects, but abounding of these, were abnormally impacted, by the abatement in the apple economy. Rather than accord – up, or proceed, negatively, they faced the challenges, accepted there were issues and challenges, but continued, in a focused way, appear a bigger future. If the better project, anytime planned, for the Caribbean region, was planned, and started, about a decade ago, hopes were high, but the aboriginal developer faced bread-and-butter issues, there were abounding acknowledged battles, etc, but finally, the $4.5 billion, Baha Mar Resort opened, and after, visiting endure week, exceeded anyone’s expectations! Persistence, etc, mattered!
3. Encourage adopted investment: When the Bahamas, became a nation, one of the primary objectives, was to ensure able Bahamian workers, accustomed the aggregate of the jobs, in any project, etc. That nation recognized, the charge to animate adopted investment and investors, but, to also, assure citizens. Above projects such as the Atlantis, the Towne, the Baha Mar, and others, followed these principles. Abounding nations and banks, accept a cogent bread-and-butter attendance on these Islands, including: China; the United States; Canada; United Kingdom; etc.
4. Infrastructure needs: Roads accept been designed, and improved, constantly, throughout the nation’s history! There is now, an International airport (Sir Lynden Pindling International Airport), which is modern, and a superior one. Bahamian Pride is real, and has been, throughout, and its flag, as explained to me, by Pindling, included 3 colors – blue, for the blush of the sky and water; yellow, for the sun; and, black, to represent the derma color, of the all-inclusive majority of its citizens. In a nation, apery assorted races, and nationalities/ ethnicities, there is a relevantly low amount of ancestral biases, etc.
5. Overcome obstacles: This country has proceeded, and affected abounding obstacles, because it proceeds, with an attitude and focus, o challenges, rather than problems!
If the Bahamas, in its abbreviate history, can be, area it is, and, although, still accepting to face abounding approaching challenges, shouldn’t all of us apprentice some lessons? I’ve witnessed abounding changes in the about 40 years, I accept visited, and accept to admit, I am aggressive by the progress, to date!
– business services development